
When Tom invited me to contribute to his blog, I wasn’t quite sure what I would write. He suggested I write about slacklining. I haven’t actually slacklined in over a month (because it’s so cold in Montana), but I’ll give everyone a quick break down of what a mental trip slacklining can be. I’m sure most of Tom’s readers are familiar with slacklining. It is when you take a piece of one inch nylon webbing, set it between two trees (usually), tighten it so when you’re on it you don’t hit the ground, and walk, jump, and bounce on it. It is really difficult at first, but it just takes a lot of practice to get your mind and body used to balancing on a moving, one inch line. After enough time on the line, it becomes purely meditative, calming, and euphoric.
I want to focus on the art of highlining. Much like rock climbing, slackliners are constantly pushing the sport to more and more extreme ends. It’s only logical to set up a slackline over a gaping chasm and, eventually, walk it with no harness. Most highliners wear a climbing harness and rope into the line, so, if they fall, they don’t die. But there are a few crazy people out there who free solo highlines. No harness. No rope. Just you and the line. Pure Zen.
This video focuses mostly on BASE jumping (a story for another day), but there is footage of some highlining in Moab at the beginning, including slackliner extraordinaire Andy Lewis free soloing a line. Badass.
It is impossible to describe how meditative and peaceful slacklining is to someone who has never tried it. Once you’ve pushed past the point of fighting to stay on the line, your head clears, your breathing becomes more focused, and you enter a state of pure Zen. Slacklining is the most freeing and calming experience I have ever had. I imagine it’s similar to rock climbers when they are “in the zone” and completely focused on the task at hand.
I’m going to college in Helena, Montana and it is insanely cold now. Me weather widget’s showing -16. I think the slacklining season is over for now, unless I can find somewhere inside to set up.
kick ass dude!
ReplyDeletehope you don't mind, i embedded the video into your post.
Yeah, that's great Tom. Good call, thanks man. When do you get back to IF for break?
ReplyDeleteas soon as possible. i'm moving to a bigger pad, so I need to square that away first.
ReplyDelete